Governed by Pennsylvania Charter School Law, admission into Philadelphia Performing Arts is based on a Lottery that is conducted each year.
2020-2021 LOTTERY APPLICATION (NEXT YEAR)
Available September 20, 2019 – January 27, 2020 (Lottery Deadline)
ENGLISH VERSION (K-12): APPLY HERE (Opens 10 AM on 9/20/19)
SPANISH VERSION (K-12): APPLY HERE
2020-2021 LOTTERY (Grades K-12)
Date: Thursday, January 30, 2020
Time: 10:00 A.M.
Location: East Campus (2407 S. Broad Street)
All applicants and their parents/guardians are invited to visit Philadelphia Performing Arts during the Open Houses to learn about the school and its programs. Attendance at an Open House is strictly optional, and is held for informational purposes, only.
Date: Friday, November 8, 2019
Time: 12:30 P.M. – 2:30 P.M.
Location: East Campus (2407 South Broad Street)
* * *
Date: Wednesday, November 13, 2019
Time: 4:30 P.M. – 6:30 P.M.
Location: Vine Street Campus (1600 Vine Street)
REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY FOR THE 2020-2021 SCHOOL YEAR
- Kindergarten applicants MUST be five (5) years old on or before September 1, 2020.
- All lottery applicants must reside in Philadelphia, PA. If accepted, proof of residency is required.
ADMISSIONS POLICIES & PROCEDURES
- To download the Charter School’s Admissions Policy & Procedures: CLICK HERE
- 2020-2021 Applications must be submitted by the lottery application deadline on January 27, 2020 in order to be entered into the lottery.
- All applications received after the January 27, 2020 lottery deadline will be entered into the bottom of the waitlist on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Many grades are filled to capacity and will not have seats available for the 2020-2021 school year. In the event that there are no seats available in any particular grade, a lottery will be conducted in order to generate a waitlist.
- Waitlists remain valid for one (1) school year only and are based on the current school year applications.
- If an applicant on the waitlist is not notified of acceptance, then he/she MUST reapply for next school year.
- In accordance with the Charter School Law, Philadelphia Performing Arts gives first preference to students residing in Philadelphia, who are subject to the student cap imposed by the School District of Philadelphia on the number of Philadelphia residents who may enroll in the Charter School.
Definition of a Sibling: A sibling is defined as a brother or sister, by blood, marriage or adoption, living in the same household. Nieces, nephews, cousins or unrelated children, even if living in the same household as the applicant, are not considered to be siblings.
* * *
Sibling Preference in the Admissions Process:
- In order for an applicant to qualify for sibling preference in the admissions process, he/she must have a sibling, as defined above, who is currently enrolled in and attending Philadelphia Performing Arts: A String Theory Charter School for at least one (1) full academic year.
- Sibling preference will not apply unless the sibling is a Philadelphia resident, and the currently enrolled student is in a grade lower than 12th grade for the 2019-2020 school year.
- If an applicant is accepted through sibling preference for the 2020-2021 school year, the sibling who is currently attending the school during the 2019-2020 school year must continue to attend for the 2020-2021 school year.
- A Sibling Lottery will be held in the event that there are more siblings applying than seats available in any particular grade.
- Siblings apply through the general application (Intent to Register).
PENNSYLVANIA RESIDENT APPLICANTS LIVING OUTSIDE OF PHILADELPHIA
- Pennsylvania resident applicants living outside of Philadelphia are welcome to apply, but their names will be placed on separate waitlists from the lottery waitlists for Philadelphia resident applicants.
- Applicants who reside outside of Philadelphia may only be considered for admission once the school reaches the student cap imposed by the School District of Philadelphia upon the number of Philadelphia residents who can be enrolled at the school.
- Should any vacancies arise in the grade to which applicants outside of Philadelphia have applied, such open seat(s) may be offered to applicants from the non-Philadelphia waitlist, on a first come, first served basis, so long as the total enrollment of Philadelphia residents remains capped.
- A seat vacated by a Philadelphia resident will be filled by a lottery waitlisted applicant from Philadelphia.
Families may also apply in person at each campus’ main office. School personnel will assist families with applying through the online portal and with answering any questions regarding the admissions and enrollment process.
EAST CAMPUS (K-1): 2407 S. Broad St Phila PA 19148
WEST CAMPUS (2-4): 2600 S. Broad St. Phila PA 19145
VINE STREET CAMPUS (5-12): 1600 Vine St. Phila PA 19102
Paper Intent to Register Forms for the 2020-2021 school year are available to download in the following languages:
If you need an application in a particular foreign language, please contact the Admissions Office in person, by phone at (267) 428-2224 ext. 2325, or via email at email@example.com.
Philadelphia Performing Arts: A String Theory Charter School is a tuition-free public charter school. We are committed to educational equality and will not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, disabilities, gender or any other legally protected classification.
For inquiries regarding the Admissions Process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.